My role in the project was sketching, prototyping, and rendering a set of assets to illustrate our design decisions.
Dive light was an industrial design project that challenged my team to conceptualize a light for underwater power washing. When sketching concepts, it was important to consider contextual limitations, such as glove-based operation, poor visibility, and confined work spaces.
It took several iterations of the switch to decide on a final form. I presented the concepts to the team, and we collectively determined that a large switch would be necessary for glove operation, and it would need to be as flat as possible to avoid snagging onto debris.
Some of the finer details, such as product dimensions, switch operation and curve radii were prototyped with foam. This technique helped me to test the ergonomics without committing extensive time to renders or manufacturing.
In addition to the product design, I also created line art to visualize how the light would be operated.
These diagrams helped to show the relative scale of the product and contextualize its use.
When it came to material choices, I separated the shaders from the model. This treatment functioned similarly to bullet points as each material was associated with a short description.
All of the assets above were compiled into a poster by the team's graphic designer.
Overall, the project was an opportunity to take written content and turn it into a cohesive visual language. I got hands-on experience working with 3D software, which I've since translated to more complex virtual systems.